As you grow older, your body changes and you have to adjust how you take care of it. Teeth are no exception to this rule. Dr. Michael McKeel, DMD, and McKeel Family Dentistry want to make sure that our Gresham patients are well informed as to what to expect in their dental health as they age.
What Is Different About Dental Health As You Age?
There is a common misconception that losing teeth is inevitable. This isn’t true. With proper care, your teeth can last you a lifetime. However, Gresham patients should know that their teeth does go through some changes as they age.
The nerves in your teeth can become smaller, making your teeth less sensitive to cavities or other problems. If you don’t get regular dental exams, this, in turn, can lead to dental problems not being diagnosed until it is too late. Maintaining your oral health goes a long way to making you feel good as you age.
Dr. Michael McKeel, DMD., wants to make sure that his Gresham patients who are getting on in age know how to best take care of their teeth. Here are a few tips for maintaining good oral health as you age:
- Brush twice a day with a toothbrush with soft bristles. You may also benefit from using an electric toothbrush.
- Clean between your teeth once a day with floss or another flossing tool.
- If you wear full or partial dentures, remember to clean them on a daily basis. Take your dentures out of your mouth for at least four hours every day. It’s best to remove them at night.
- Drink tap water. Since most water contains fluoride, it helps prevent tooth decay no matter how old you are.
- Quit smoking. Besides putting you at greater risk for lung and other cancers, smoking increases problems with gum disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss.
- Visit your dentist. Visit your dentist regularly for a complete dental check-up.
When you’re ready for your regular dentist appointment, Dr. Michael McKeel, DMD., and the McKeel Family Dentistry staff are eager to aid you in your journey to maintaining good oral health. Gresham patients can trust in the McKeel Family Dentistry team for friendly, professional dental care.
Visit McKeel Family Dentistry For Dental Bonding In Gresham
Making regular visits to your dentist is the key to maintaining good dental health. Dr. Michael McKeel, DMD, has almost 50 years of experience providing oral health services to the Gresham community and specializes in dental bonding procedures. We have a friendly, family-oriented staff committed to providing each of our patients with the best dental services in Gresham.
Trust McKeel Family Dentistry in Gresham to meet the needs of your family’s complete oral health. Learn about the wide range of dental services we offer, including children’s dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, dental bonding, exams and cleanings, and much more. To schedule a visit or if you have questions, please contact us or call us at (503) 665-8888.
Smiles in an hour!